How do you know that an egg is fresh? Well there are a few things you can do to tell just how old those eggs you bought are.
- Gently place egg in bowl of cold water.
- If it sinks to the bottom it is very fresh.
- If it sinks to the bottom but floats at an angle it is more than a week old.
- If it sinks, then stands on end it is about two weeks old.
- If the egg floats it should be discarded.
When you start to keep chickens and you crack open your first couple of eggs you will notice that they are probably a little different to the ones you picked up in store.
Fresh eggs have rounded plump yolks and much thicker ‘whites’. In fact the older the egg, the more ‘runny’ the white becomes and the yolk also gets flatter.